Sunday, 17 October 2010

Day 53 - one step forward, X steps back....

So yesterday was a bad day, which is why I did not post. Woke up feeling unwell and it never got better. Didn't eat all day. Some problems I thought were gone came back. And it was horrible and grey outside.

But today has started a lot better - I feel okay, nice nurse made me a good cup of tea,and it's really bright out (but cold I'll bet) - north London looks beautiful.

I forgot to say about the amazing thing that happened in my scrabble game with Carole the other day. I was winning by 100 points. It was the end of the game. Carole had 7 letters left and I only had four letters left, including the Q, but I could place them all at once, so I was pretty confident of a big win. It was her turn. Of course I couldn't see her, or I would have known something was up - even a great poker player would have struggled with this one. Next thing I know, Carole plays a whole word - JITTERS - to clear her rack and get 90 points! Because I had the Q, she wound up winning the game. This was just so incredible and impressive that I didn't even mind having my sure win snatched away. Those of you who play scrabble will realize just how rare and how awesome this is. For those who don't - believe me, this is rare and awesome. In fact, I can honestly say I don't remember EVER playing before in a game where someone got a whole word at the very end (as usually there's not even room to play one even if you have the letters) to win the game. And I have played many thousands of scrabble games. So, history was made.

5 comments:

  1. Janet, I'm flattered that you devoted your blog entry to my amazing luck today. I feel honor bound to say, though, that you do nearly always beat me in Scrabble. And other games. And you read faster than I do. But I might be a better cook.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since I am married to a great cook, I don't get much practice, but you are probably right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the setback - but it's good to hear your upbeat self asserting itself (herself?). Congratulations to your sister for her dramatic victory - such is the stuff of family legend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - keep feeling better. See you in a few days. There ... that was all of MY letters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet. Deborah recently sent me details of your blog. The scrabble sounds great - we are great fans and Ian was amazed to hear about jitters! I had only recently heard about online scrabble as Clara plays with her friends in Oz and Manchester! Better luck with the next game.....

    ReplyDelete