Friday, 1 October 2010

Day 37 - a little bit of drama on an otherwise dull day

Well, first of all, I felt pretty good for a lot of the day today. I don't want to count any chickens, as usual, but it felt better than the last time I thought it was improving. It helped that I had a nice lunch - the catering team asked if I wanted to take part in a trial where they are offering "low carbon footprint" meals - I said yes, figuring any trial, for any reason, gets more attention than the normal food and is therefore likely to be better. And it was, much better. Pasta with fresh tasting tomato sauce (the veggie option), with FRESH VEGETABLES, not those little dried up cubes of equal size "mixed vegetables" I have been putting up with. And homemade apple crumble. It was actually good, and I told them so, but I didn't get a chance to partake again for tomorrow, so it must be a pretty small scale trial.

And then, major drama shortly after supper. Sort of like when the nurse fainted in my room the last time I was in, but fortunately with no human consequences at all. I was having a blood transfusion (which always makes me feel energetic), and the nurse was taking off the pretty much empty bag to swap for another one when her hand slipped - blood EVERYWHERE. It couldn't have been more than a few tablespoons worth left in that bag, but boy, it looked like CSI. Walls, floor, hanging bag thingie, bed, nurse, splattered with blood. Luckily, not me, or hardly not at all. And also luckily, this blood is pretty much the cleanest, safest thing you can get splattered with in a hospital, so it's not a big emergency, just a big mess. Poor nurse. I couldn't do much to help except try to keep the blankets from dragging in it. She eventually got it cleared up - I must say she stayed calm and even kept her sense of humor (as did I, which I'm sure helped) throughout. Eventually, after about 25 minutes, we were more or less back to normal, but I'll be we'll find little splashes for days, even though the proper cleaning team is supposed to come do a fuller clean tonight (hope they don't - it's 10:00 already). So that was sort of fun, in a weird way.

1 comment: