Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Day 28 - I realize I have NO IDEA what's happening

So today the doctors said they see some infection growing that they might want to start treating next Monday, but can't decide until then how exactly they will treat it, as it depends how it grows, and how all the other levels of things they monitor develop. This means I now have absolutely no idea how near I am to going home, except that it doesn't sound good. These infections are expected, and if I were already at home it would I would have to come back in, which I guess would be more depressing, but I just hate the apparent randomness of it all.

And it was Rich's birthday today. I was so hoping to get home in time for this, or for Amy's next week, but no. We'll save up and have a proper celebration when I do get home.

Meanwhile, I had my first visitor outside the family today. My old friend Zoe and her friend John were in London for one day on their way back to the US, so even though I wasn't 100% sure I was ready for visitors, I saw them. And it was very nice. I found I can sustain a reasonably intelligent conversation (well, maybe you'd better ask them about that) for a reasonable length of time, and it was a pleasure not a chore. If I'm about to be in for a longer while, this is good good news.

So, London friends, this means if you are going to be near the hospital at any point and want to pop in with a coffee, that will be good. But please let me know in advance, so I can be sure to be up and dressed (you'd be amazed how many hours I can spend lying in bed......)

4 comments:

  1. Rats (to use an expression I fondly remember you using). It sounds very frustrating. I'm glad that Zoe was able to pay you a visit - a stalwart friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a disappointment, Janet. I hope things turn around for you very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry to hear you can't be home for Amy's birthday, but I know there are plans to make it very special for her. You must be disappointed. I really hope things start to improve soon. Very much love x x Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Janet. Shoot. --- at the very least... If the infection could feel all the hate being blasted at it, it would wither up and die of shame. I know from watching my mom that a good woman can soldier on through tedium when good things are on the other side. Prayers that your tedium doesn't last long!
    And great about seeing Zoe! That's another step in the right direction, seems to me.
    At least you can be glad that you're not doing this in N.C. We're in the upper 90's today and tomorrow. I'd be glad to be done with that and to have some rain too. Grass shouldn't crunch underfoot.

    ReplyDelete