Monday, 13 September 2010

Day 19 - real progress at last

Yes, today I felt I made real progress. I can take almost all my medicines orally, and I can breathe without oxygen most of the time, and the excess fluids are dropping - these are the three things that have to get under control before I can go home. I can eat, sort of (hospital food not enticing,)and even went for a little walk up and down the corridor. I can even concentrate - finished The Monkey's Raincoat and started Permutation City by Greg Egan - a very science-heavy sci-fi book, much of which makes no sense to me (maybe it would have made more sense when I was hallucinating!)but which has a good story at its centre. As usual, doctors refuse to be drawn on exactly how long before I can get out, but it must be getting close now (or perhaps not). Thanks for all the comments, emails, etc., it feels great to know you are thinking of me.

2 comments:

  1. Janet, you are the woman! I trust that you're pleased with yourself.
    I haven't read Greg Egan (I don't think0 although I've *bought* Greg Egan. I somehow think that that should carry some merit. I'm not sure why I enjoy science-heavy scifi so much; certainly, it has nothing to do with my turn of mind. I do though. My current scifi is *Absolution Gap* which I think is written with an average reader in mind much more than the first two of the trilogy. (This is Alasair Reynolds.) I'm really liking it - there's an huge lot of it to like.
    Always happy to read about progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good news. I'm glad you're enjoying the Egan - science fiction fans like to think they're reading "the literature of ideas", but with Egan there really are novel ideas being explored. Permutation City is a lot of fun. Egan's web site is pretty amazing, by the way. Neat visualizations of some pretty esoteric concepts.

    ReplyDelete