Saturday, 15 May 2010

Masked and Unmasked

Of course, I had forgotten just what a big deal coughs and colds are in a hospital. First of all they need to be sure it doesn't spread from me to the hundreds of other patients in the hospital. Then they need to be sure it really is just a cold. So, I spent most of the day in a sort of "lockdown" - anyone who came into my room not only had to wear disposable gloves and apron, as usual, but also a disposable face mask which I am assured is extremely uncomfortable, and which makes conversation pretty difficult. I also had to stay in my room (my only outings so far had been limited to walking to the recycling bin in the corrider, approximately 5 steps from my door, but even so) and eat my meals with disposable cutlery, plates, cups and trays. All very sad. But by tea time they had done all their tests and decided I didn't have something terrible after all, so off with the masks, hooray.

Meanwhile, the neutrophils continue to do their thing - up to 0.46 today. Not sure how the cold interacts with the neutrophils, and what factors now determine when I get to go home, but we must be getting pretty close.

Still reading "Black Water Rising" - it's very good.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,
    Glad to hear that there is good news on the horizon for you and that you may be home soon. Have just seen Amy and Rory in the Magnificent Mandolinis - they were impressive, in spite of the poor acoustics. They played a great rendition of the Beatles' 'Eleanor rigby'.In fact, the whole event was better than ever. There was a real festival atmosphere - including the rain and the mud!

    Sorry I haven't been to visit. Anna has been off school all week with tonsilitis so I haven't left Crouch End. She'll be at home for a couple of days yet, so I'll probably see you when you get out of hospital.

    Hope the neutrophils continue to do the right thing.
    love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete