Friday, 30 April 2010

So, why am I staying in a four star hotel?

I am now ensconced in the Grafton Hotel in Tottenham Court Rd. Here's why:

I am in the "recovery" phase from my latest chemo. That means my blood counts will drop very low, then start to recover. I need to be checked at the hospital every day (blood tests, blood pressure, temperature, pulse) to see how I'm doing. I will probably also need some blood transfusions during this time. At some point over the next 7-10 days, I could also need antibiotics or other treatments if I get a fever or any infections, or if the side effects really get on top of me. This happened the last time. For the checking, and the blood transfusions, I don't really need to be admitted to the hospital, but I do need to be close by, not travelling in every day from home, so that if I do get a fever or anything else I can be admitted quickly. So the hospital has a deal with this hotel, 2 minutes away on foot. More efficient use of hospital resources, nicer for patients, win-win.

If you're in the neighbourhood, stop by - but ring me first to check I'm not sitting in the hospital getting checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment